Friday, October 30, 2009

Once in a Lifetime


I’ve often heard people describe a concert experience as a "Once in a Lifetime Experience." I never really understood what they meant. Now I’ve been to more concerts than the average joe...wayyyyy more concerts than the average joe, but I've never described a show as a once in a lifetime experience. Yea, I have said some shows were amazing and ranted and raved about them, but never had that feeling in my gut that I would never experience something by that artist again.

Last night, for the first time in my life, I truly believe I witnessed and experienced a concert that was Once in a Lifetime. Last night, I watched my idols (or the majority of them anyways) share the same stage and perform together for one night only at The Worlds Most Famous Arena and boy was it something special. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gig at MSG kicked off at around 7pm with a speech from a favorite actor of mine, Mr. Tom Hanks. Mr. Gump made his speech short and sweet, focusing on the power that rock music has had in the lives of everyone in both the good times and the bad times. He left the stage to great applause and cheering as the lights dimmed and Rock and Roll HOF original inductee Mr. Jerry Lee Lewis Hit the stage. Jerry jammed out "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" on his sleek white baby grand. He left the stage to great applause and we were on our way.

Crosby, Stills, and Nash took the stage next. They are a personal favorite of mine and I saw them play on their Deja Vu tour with Neil Young and on their own at Central Park Summerstage. These guys may be old, but boy can they still play. They opened up with the classic tune, "Woodstock," which got the mostly older crowd up and dancing. (I would say the average age at this show was 48) Then came a personal favorite of mine as a Moroccan, "Marrakesh Express." This was my first time hearing this tune and it sent chills down my spine. It is truly an unreal feeling to hear a song youve been waiting to hear for years, some of you may know what I’m talking about...like waiting to hear Fluffhead and you finally catch it after 30 shows. The 3 amigos then went into another classic in David Crosbys "Almost Cut My Hair." Crosby then introduced Rock and Roll HOF'er Bonnie Raitt to join the stage with them, calling her the "best voice he has ever heard." CSN and Bonnie played "Love Has No Pride" and a very folky/country version of the Allman Brothers "Midnight Rider." Bonnie left the stage to great applause before the next legend came out, Mr. Jackson Browne. They jammed out an incredible version of "The Pretender." The guitar for this just blew me away, Stills has still got it and so does Jackson. Then came another one of my heroes...James Taylor. The crowd gave a thunderous applause as James joined CSN on stage. The boys launched into an extremely impressive version of everyone’s Taylor favorite, "Mexico." This was yet another extremely special moment for me, watching two of my icons on stage for an incredible version of an incredible song. Oh and for the record, James Taylor hasn’t lost a beat...he is still the man and for all you haters out there, all I can say is I feel bad for you. Taylor stayed out for one more tune, playing CSN's "Love the One Your With." The doo doo do do dooo dooo dad do part was awesome, the entire stadium was abuzz with doo's. Taylor left the stage and CSN played "Rock and Roll Woman." After that, they invited all their guests back on stage for a special sing along version of "Teach Your Children." All in all, Crosby, Stills, and Nash have still got it and can rock out with the best of em. A great set from a great group.

The night was already off to an incredible start, but like a snowball rolling down a hill, it only gained more momentum as the night wore on. Paul Simon hit the stage to thunderous applause, clapping, and whistles from all around. Paul wasted no time, launching right into "She’s a rich girl...she don’t try and hide it....She’s got diamonds on the souls of her shoes." He also sounds exactly the same and it was a great version of a song I thought I would never hear live. Simon then went into a classic tune, "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard." The crowd went absolutely bonkers for the next song, "You can call me al." Simon then brought out HOFer and guitar legend Dion Dimucci who happens to be my friends neighbor and was at their bar-mitzvah. Simon and Dion played a solid version of "The Wanderer." Dion left the stage and Simon brought out his next guests, Crosby and Nash. Simon dedicated the next song to a dear friend of his, George Harrison, and the threesome of Crosby, Nash, and Simon belted out one of the most impressive vocal versions of "Here Comes the Sun." You could feel the arena shrink a bit in that moment...leaving the audience queit and in complete awe. Crosby and Nash left the stage and Simon played "Late in the Evening." After the song, Simon invited up HOFers, Little Anthony and the Imperials. Simone left the stage and the group did an acapella of "Two kinds of People." Simon then re-appears with his longtime partner Art Garfunkel. The arena bursted into cheers and for a moment it felt like 1994 in the Garden again...a very special year for us New York sports fans...Im sure some of you know what I’m talking about. The duo launched into "The Sound of Silence," the crowds cheers echoing through out MSG. After the song, the crowd bursts into applause as Simon and Garfunkel hug and take their respective bows. They then went into a medley of "Mrs. Robinson/Not Fade Away," which had the crowd singing along. They slowed things down a bit, going into "The Boxer" and closing their set with "Bridge Over Troubled Water." The both of these guys sounded incredible and at the end of Bridge Over Troubled Water, Garfunkel let loose incredibly powerful vocals that brought the crowd to its feet. The duo left the stage as the crowd chanted for one more song...and they got their request. Simon and Garfunkel came out and encored with the classic tune, "Cecilia." This set was incredibly special to me, being a big fan of this great American songwriting duo...it was great to finally hear live what I’ve listened to for so many years on cd. The Goosebumps came alive once again. I hope these guys do another tour together as they have a magical presence together onstage and can really grab hold of an audience.

While the stage hands prepared for Stevie Wonder, I went to the bar and got myself a drink. If you want to talk about perfect timing...I get my drink and then turn to the TV to watch Matsui hit a solo shot to right field for a 2-1 lead over the Phils. The bar went nuts as people began the lets go Yankees chant and high fives were flying all around...and then some guy fell off his bar stool...another highlight of the night and I knew that was my cue to return to my seat.

Stevie Wonder took to the stage to some technical difficulties. It took them about 15 minutes to get the poor guy a working mic. When the techies finally get everything going, Stevie was nothing short of spectacular. He opened up with "Blowing in the Wind," a song he dedicated to all the Rock and Roll HOFers. Then the horns hit and you knew it was time to rock with the great Stevie W as he knocked "Uptight (Everything’s Alright)," possibly referring to his mic problems here? Everything was definitely alright when those mics were fixed. Stevie then went into my favorite song of his, "I was made to Love her," which was beyond incredible...he hit everyone note with ease. I know my baby lovvvves me, my babby needs meeee, thats why me made it through the yearssss. Love that song. Anyways, Mr. Wonder went into the wedding classic "For Once in My Life" followed by "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours." Then the bass hit and you knew what was coming...I likeeee to regggae, but your much to fast for meeee. I had grew up listening to Stevie Wonder in camp as my counselor would play him in the bunk all the time and even wrote our march for Sing to this song. Even more special was that it is one of my favorite covers by my favorite band, Phish, so it was great to finally hear this tune live. Stevie then brought out Mo-Town legend Smokey Robinson for "The Tracks Of My Tears." Smokey left the stage and then Stevie brought out John Legend and they performed "Mercy Mercy Me" and then they followed that up with Michael Jacksons "The Way You Make Me Feel." This had the whole stadium up and singing and even moved Stevie to tears at one point, as he struggled to continue singing. John Legend left the stage and Stevie brought out the king of blues...BB King and they played BB's classic tune "The Thrill is Gone," which I actually saw him play at my first Phish show. King left the stage and Stevie went into another favorite of mine, "Living for the City." Then out of nowhere, Sting comes on stage to slap a little bass for Stevie as they played medley of "Higher Ground/Roxanne." This was AWESOME. What a medley. Sting left to applause and Stevie Wonder brought out Rolling Stones 14th most influential guitar player of all time, Mr. Jeff Beck who absolutely shredded "Superstition" to pieces. This guy can PLAY, damn. All I can really say is damn...another beyond incredible set of collaborative hits.

It must been around 11:30 or so when Bruuuuuuuce hit the stage. The King of my home state of New Jersey brought the crowd to its feet. Bruce and the E-Street Band launched right into "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," one of my favorite Bruce jams. Bruce then talked a bit about the influence Sam Moore had on him in New Jersey and he invited the HOFer out to play with him and the E Street Band as they tore through blistering renditions of "Hold On, Im Comin" and "Soul Man." Moore left the stage and then Bruce brought out an interesting and unexpected guest in Tom Morello, guitarist from Rage Against the Machines. They absolutely rocked out "The Ghost of Tom Joad," as Morello and Bruce exchanged licks in what was one of the most impressive guitar work I’ve ever seen...and I’ve seen a lot. Morello left the stage and then another idol of mine came out, John Fogerty. Fogerty sat in for three songs, tearing through "Fortunate Son," "Proud Mary," and then closed it out with Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman," which was insane. Fogerty left the stage and Max Weinberg wasted no time launching into "Jungleland." Bruce then invited out Phil Spector's singing beauty Darlene Love. Love sat in the Bruce and E-Street for "A Fine, Fine Boy," and "Da Doo Ron Ron." Love left the stage and Bruce invited Morello back out. They rocked out The Clash's "London Calling," which was fucking awesome. They then played "Badlands." Springsteen kept asking the crowd if anyone was fucking aliveee out there, to which the crowd would respond with cheers. It was about 1am and everyone seemed to think this show was over...and then came the shocker. Springsteen started rambling about continental drift and how long island was once part of New Jersey, I jumped out of my seat because I knew what was coming..."Long Island is about to meet New Jersey on the neutral ground of New York City." The baby grand was set up and The King of New Jersey introduced the King of Long Island, Mr. Billy Joel. The crowd went absolutely crazy, people jumping up and down and screaming at the top of their lungs. Billy sat down at his Baby grand and said hello to the crowd. Bruce, the E street Band, and Billy went into "You May be Right."
Billy stayed on and they rocked out "Only the Good Die Young." The Garden was shaking and Bruce and Billy exchanged barbs about New York City, the greatest city, and the worlds greatest people, and then went into "New York State of Mind." Billy stayed as Bruce brought in the closer, "Born to Run." This was an absolute jam, which had Bruce rocking out on top of Billys Baby Grand, a truly amazing sight. Bruce then invited all of his guests on stage and ended the night with "Higher and Higher." It was 1:30 and the show had ended and I dont think I could have been any higher, what a perfect song to end a perfect night. Bruce rocked out the last set and closed out the night properly. He is a true entertainer.

This night didn’t lag for a minute. All these artists brought the hot hot heat from start to finish and I don’t think I will ever be able to compare or experience another 6 hour concert bash like this in my lifetime. It was truly a Once in a lifetime Experience.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree my friend. I'm 53 years old and been going to concerts since I was 13 and all I could say at the end of this one was WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete